The CharGen proficiency screen should not hide proficiencies that are available to the character's kit
|Classification:||Public Item||Due date:|
|Found In Version:||Public Bug Reports - 126.96.36.199|
Steps to reproduce:
1) Install the attached Weidu mod on BGEE, SoD, or BG2EE v2.3.
2) (Optional) Inspect weapprof.2da in Near Infinity/DLTCEP: clerics of Helm can gain one point in bastard swords.
3) (Optional) Inspect SW1H01.ITM and other bastard swords: they are usable by clerics of Helm.
4) Start a game, create a cleric of Helm.
Expected behavior: you should be able to put one point in bastard swords.
Observed behavior: you cannot put any points into bastard swords.
NOTES: for a point of comparison, follow those steps on IWDEE v1.4. There, the mod works perfectly, clerics of Helm can be proficient with bastard swords. The new 2.3 UI hides proficiencies that the player cannot put points into... but the hidden proficiencies are determined based on the class, instead of the kit. Which will result in a mismatch when the proficiencies available to the base class differ from those available to the kit. WEAPPROF.2DA denotes which proficiencies are available to each kit, the CharGen screen should simply be based on the nonzero values in the column of that files matching the player's chosen kit.
Alternatively, no proficiencies should be hidden. If the only way to implement this new feature is such that the UI does not actually reflect the state of the underlying game, and it invalidates mods that affect that aspect of the game, then IMHO the feature is not worth it. It is only a minor visual enhancement anyway, and as screen sizes inexorably grow, the actual benefit of the enhancement shrinks proportionally.
Internal report: #34280
#2 Updated by Anders Svensson almost 2 years ago
- Subject changed from the CharGen proficiency screen should not hide proficiencies that are available to the player to The CharGen proficiency screen should not hide proficiencies that are available to the character's kit
- Description updated (diff)
- Status changed from New to Submitted